Chris Dekker, CEO and President of Saskatchewan Trade & Export Partnership (STEP) spoke at a Chamber Business Lunch about Saskatchewan’s export markets, the opportunities and challenges faced by exporters and the role played by STEP. Providing an overview of the CPTPP, CETA and of course, NAFTA, Mr. Dekker indicated trade agreements are good for Saskatchewan as they allow our products access to markets with zero tariffs.
Some interesting facts:
- The world needs the 3 F’s – food, fertilizer and fuel – all of which Saskatchewan has an abundance
- Sask exports to over 150 countries
- The value of Sask exports in 2017 was $29.92 Billion
- The top 8 Sask exports include oil, potash, canola seed, wheat, lentils, canola oil, peas and uranium
- Exports of value added food & retails have huge growth opportunity in the Yorkton area