2022 Chamber Highlights
While You Worked in Your Business, the Chamber Worked for You!
As a member of the Yorkton Chamber in 2022, you viewed the membership as an investment in your business. As a Chamber member, you were able to work on your business while the Chamber looked after the bigger concerns facing businesses in Yorkton and area. The Chamber Board and Staff are proud of the work they did in 2022 for the betterment of the community. Below is a summary of the 2022 highlights.
Advocacy: Informing the various orders of government of policies or legislation having an impact on the business community:
- In early January, as the omicron variant of covid was spreading, the Yorkton Chamber commended the government of SK for not enacting additional health measures that would adversely affect the business community
- A letter of support for the provider of a small modular reactor (SMR) to Sask Power was sent to the Minister of the Environment
- The Business Development committee engaged in a telephone conversation with Hon. Jeremy Harrison, Minister of Trade & Export Development to discuss the labour shortage in the area
- The Policy committee met with City Council twice this year to discuss issues and opportunities facing the business community
- The Bus Dev committee met with reps from the Parkland College; CTTS Division; SH High School; and the Apprenticeship Program to discuss how the education system and apprenticeship programs could address the labour shortage in the region
- Met with Staff Sgt Burton Jones to discuss how the RCMP can work with the business community
- Continued to support the coalition of Chambers, led by the Saskatoon Chamber, requesting that the Government of SK review the current property tax system and address its weaknesses
- Policy committee has been working with the city on a downtown parking review
- The Policy committee met with 3 local MLAs – Greg Ottenbreit, Terry Dennis and Warren Kaeding – to discuss a number of topics relevant to the area’s business community
- The Bus Dev committee has met several times with the Parkland College to discuss College programming and the needs of the business community
- Mike Stackhouse, Chamber Past President and Juanita Polegi, ED attended the Sask Chamber’s President’s Invitational Dinner. Mike was at the table with the Deputy Minister of Highways; while Juanita sat with the Deputy Minister of Advanced Education
- Numerous letters sent to provincial ministries reacting to policies affecting the local business community
Education & “Linking”: Providing members with the opportunities to grow their businesses through enhanced learning and linking with other businesses
- Following the Chamber’s AGM, members had the opportunity to ask questions of a panel of Directors about the purpose and work of the Chamber
- Chamber Business Lunches on topics such as: upcoming tax changes; update from the Opposition Leader; update on the YQR Airport; update from Ottawa from our local Member of Parliament; and the impact of the expanded PST
- 23rd Annual Business Dinner where Guest Speaker Murad Al-Katib encouraged entrepreneurism and pointed out the great potential for economic growth in both Saskatchewan and Yorkton
- Celebrate Success Business Awards where business excellence was celebrated and awards were presented in 14 categories
Let the Chamber Work for Your Business in 2023
2022 Chamber Highlights
While You Worked in Your Business, the Chamber Worked for You! As a member of the Yorkton Chamber in 2022, you viewed the membership as an investment in your...
2021 Chamber Highlights
While You Worked in Your Business, the Chamber Worked for You! 2021 was a year of uncertainty, challenges and opportunities for the business community. ...
2020 Chamber Highlights
While You Worked in Your Business, the Chamber Worked for YOU! In 2020, you invested in your business by becoming a Chamber member. The Board of...
2019 Chamber Highlights
While You Worked in Your Business, the Chamber Worked for You! Membership in the Chamber of Commerce is an investment in your business. While you’re busy...
2018 Chamber Highlights
2018 has been a milestone year for the Yorkton Chamber of Commerce! In addition to some celebrations to mark the anniversary, the Chamber, as always, has...
2017 Chamber Highlights
As “the voice of business in Yorkton”, the Chamber is charged with the task of advocating for its members and providing educational and networking...
2016 Chamber Highlights
As the year draws to a close, it’s important for the Chamber membership to know and understand how the Chamber has been working for you. As “the voice of...
History Throughout the Years (2010 – 2015)
2015 2014 2013 2012 2010Board Directors 2015 Executive: Joel Martinuk- President Don Rae- Past President Corey Werner- VP; Co-Chair Business Development...
Yorkton Chamber of Commerce History 2010 The first order of business in 2010 for the Chamber was to welcome to its new president Lawrence Wegner as well as...
Yorkton Chamber of Commerce History 2009 In 2009, under the continued presidency of Lori Walsh, the Chamber was presented with the opportunity to partner with...
Yorkton Chamber of Commerce History 2008 The 110th Year of the Chamber of Commerce is one that saw many changes to the Chamber. Lori Walsh was elected...
History 2001 – 2007
Yorkton Chamber of Commerce History 2001 - 2007 In 2001, under the Presidency of Kevin Lukey, the Chamber undertook the task of developing a strategic plan....