While You Worked in Your Business, the Chamber Worked for YOU!
In 2020, you invested in your business by becoming a Chamber member. The Board of Directors doesn’t take that investment lightly and has been working for you throughout the year.
As “the voice of business in Yorkton”, the Chamber has undertaken a number of advocacy efforts on your behalf. While you worked to grow your business, the Chamber was working to ensure the interests of the local business community were represented.
Below is a summary of the 2020 highlights:
Advocacy: Informing the various orders of government of policies or legislation are having an impact on the business community:
- Had meetings with City Council; and Cathay Wagantall, MP
- Letter to Premier Moe commending his government on pointing out to the Federal government the many ways SK has reduced its carbon footprint
- Letter to Cathay Wagantall, MP asking her party to urge the government to find a peaceful solution to removing the railway blockades. Letter on same topic sent to Mayor Maloney
- Letter to Cathay Wagantall, MP asking her party to urge the government to provide immediate support to small and medium businesses affected by the pandemic
- Letters to Ministers of Health and Rural & Remote Health pointing out the inconsistencies in determining which businesses could remain open and those which were ordered to close
- Letters to Ministers of Health and Rural & Remote Health with questions about decisions affecting small businesses as the second wave of the pandemic settles in
- Presentation to City Council on the importance of proceeding with major infrastructure projects such as the City Operations Centre and the Mayhew roundabout as they had already had budget approval
- Letter to Mayor Maloney commending the city on re-opening facilities in May
- Letter to City Manager requesting a bike rack be installed on Second Avenue
- Letter to Greg Ottenbreit, MLA urging his government to announce by August 1 its plans for allowing banquet facilities and halls to host more than 30 people
- One of 34 signatories to an Open Letter to the Businesses and Citizens reminding the businesses that we cannot have a full-scale lock-down; and to the citizens reminding them to please shop local
- Developed Talking Points 2020 for the Municipal election
- Hosted All Candidates’ Forums for the provincial and municipal elections
Education & Networking:
- Those early days of the pandemic were dark and uncertain for businesses but the Canadian & Sask Chambers provided all sorts of information on protocols and programs for the Yorkton Chamber to distribute to its membership
- Staff called members during the spring lock-down to check in
- Staff conducted “Curbside Chats” with businesses and posted these photos and videos on the website
- Conducted surveys about the impact of the pandemic
- Hosted webinars about applying for programs and HR during a pandemic
- Unveiled the new Chamber logo
- Hosted presentations by the YRHS Junior Achievement students
- Chamber on Tap with Nicole Campbell & Guy Gendreau
- Chamber Lunch with former Regina Mayor Pat Fiacco as Guest Speaker
- Presented a scholarship at Parkland College
- Hosted the 14th Celebrate Success Business Awards
Let the Chamber work for your business in 2021!